Sunday, June 8, 2008

Rage Against the Machine

Laura in Singapore is temporarily disabled due to the loss of my camera through a hole in a bag onto a beach on an Indonesian island. My camera was over 2 years old, so I expected to be able to upgrade without much difficulty. Here are some examples of what I found, instead:

1) This model is an upgrade of my lost camera, but with more zoom. Sadly, said zoom is only usable when you curl your pinky inward, and rotate it up and down, which cannot be done at the same time as composing a picture. Furthermore, the lack of old school viewfinder makes this camera unusable in sunny days. These are common here on the equator.
2) I looked at this expensive model, but learned that it was designed for infants. I can only press these 3mm-wide buttons if I sharpen my nails into points. Also, a mini Swiss army knife is required to turn the upper dial, which is an issue with airport security.3) This premium model has been designed with a smooth tapered edge, to assist it in slipping out of your hands during use. The 5 buttons and 2 dials (note the handy "print" button), do nearly nothing, and most of the counter-intuitive user interface is displayed on the screen, again providing uselessness in the sunshine, and rage everywhere.4) Finally, here is my favourite. This fancy-ass camera has a large screen and no viewfinder. But don't worry, this expensive camera has many exciting smile-detection/blink removing/anti shake/face detection features to compensate for the fact that it works indoors only.Since camera designers have clearly been on strike, and "point and shoot" is out of style, I am now in the market for a used camera.